School History

William H. Byrd MS opened in 1972, and was originally housed on the former East Campus of Duncanville High School.  The school was named for former superintendent William Hugh Byrd (1966-1976).  The school was relocated to the current facility in 1977, and was renovated in 2004 and 2005.  The school serves grades 7-8.

William Hugh Byrd
On April 21, 1966 William Hugh Byrd was elected superintendent of Duncanville ISD. Born in Chireno, Texas, he attended elementary school in Huntington and graduated from Nacogdoches High School in 1934. Following his graduation from Stephen F. Austin State University, Byrd served in the US 4th Army in WWII. Upon completion of military service he moved to Lufkin, accepting a position with Lufkin ISD as head of the Department of Music. After serving that district for 20 years as teacher, principal, and Assistant Superintendent, he accepted the position of superintendent with the Mount Pleasant school district in 1964.

In 1966, Byrd moved to Duncanville as Superintendent. He served the district for ten years, retiring in 1976. During his tenure two bond issues totaling $20 million funded improvements to all existing buildings, including air conditioning. New construction included a new middle school which bears his name, a new auditorium addition at Duncanville High School, and three elementary schools (Alexander, Hastings, and Smith). He received an honorary Doctor of Humanities degree from Dallas Baptist College in 1976.

Mascot:  Panthers (formerly Red Raiders)
Colors:  Red and royal blue (formerly red and white)